Barendregt, Dr. B.A. (Bart)
- Associate Professor
- Director of Studies
- Digital anthropology
- Popular culture and media
- Southeast Asia
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 3475|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen, Instituut CA/Ontwikkelingssociologie|
Pieter de la Court gebouw
2333 AK Leiden
Room number 3A47a
As a senior researcher and main coordinator Bart is affiliated to the Articulation of Modernity Project. This four-year project is funded by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). It focuses on societal change through the prism of popular music, emphasizing the appeal of modernity rather than that of the nation-state, thus offering a new way of studying Southeast Asia that foregrounds the movement of people, music, ideas, and technologies among the region’s cosmopolitan centres.
- ISIM Review 'The Sound of Islam: Southeast Asian Boy Bands' (2008)
- VPRO Radio: 'Gladde jongens zingen "Allah akbar"' (01/04/2015)
Bart currently acts as a co-promoter for the following projects:
- Zane Kripe; 'Future Making Practices of Southeast Asian Geeks'
- Buni Yani; ‘Postcolonial analysis of the Rock and Roll Years in Jakarta and Manila’
- Nuraini Juliastuti; ‘Remixing Regimes: the politics of Indonesian participatory pop’
- Lusvita Nuzuliyant'; ‘Veiled Passion: Muslim fangirls of Korean pop culture in Indonesia'
- Nuril Huda; ‘Projecting Islam on Screen’
- Mubarika Dyah Fitri Nugraheni; ‘Javanese Hip-hop in a Global Context: Constructing creativity and community through digital sensibilities’
- Muhammad Zamzam Fauzanafi; ‘The Citizens (De)Facing The Dynasty: Digital Citizenship and Anti Corruption Campaigns Against Banten Political Dynasty’
Europalia Indonesia 2017:
The European Association for South East Asian Studies (EuroSEAS):